When you are student or live alone or just have to save money, you struggle until the last cent, no? However sometimes you just want to have a nice hot meal for that cold days. Soups are cheap to make, but you need to save more money? No problem, i made tomato soup that didn´t taste like tomato sauce 😛 . For 3 – 4 people.
500gr tomato purée (like 1 1/3 cup)
2 cups of hot water
2 shallots or 1 little onion
3 tbsp of chopped parskey
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp of olive oil
salt and pepper
- Cut in brunoise ( very little dices) the shallots. Then remove the pulp of the tomato* and cut in brunoise the flesh. Save 2 tbsp of it for garnish.
- In a pot over medium heat, put the olive oil and add the shallots, a pinch of salt and cook until are soft. Add the white wine until almost all the alcohol (not the wine) evaporate. In this moment add the tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato purée and let it boil. Then add the hot water and let it boil 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pot. Add the butter. This will give to your soup a better texture ( even if is not too much quantity) and a shining look.
- Place in you favorite soup cup or soup plate and garnish with the chopped parsley and the tomato in brunoise you saved before.
*Don´t throw away the pulp. Is the tasty part of the tomato that is better if you keep it for salads. In fact, some fancy restaurants named it tomato caviar.